SCROLL DOWN for Ordering Online help. We continue to adjust to new procedures and public health protocols. For full details of safety measures we have instituted for the protection of our booksellers, customers, and the community at-large, please see COVID Safety Measures below.
The Vermont Book Shop at 38 Main Street location is open for browsing, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Vermont Book Shop at the Stone Mill Public Market is open Wednesday to Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. For our customers who wish to shop with us but not come inside, we are still taking orders online, by phone, and by email (this is our order of preference, as all orders must be prepaid by credit card), with curb-side pick-up at our 38 Main Street location or the Stone Mill, or complimentary local delivery. For our at-risk customers or anyone who doesn't feel comfortable coming inside the bookstore, please email us for an appointment. Thank you again for your continued patience and patronage!
COVID Safety Measures: The health and safety of our community is of paramount importance to us. For the protection of our booksellers, customers, and the community at-large, we have instituted the following safety measures:
- Anyone experiencing respiratory symptoms or a fever, has been exposed to someone with COVID in the past 14 days, or who needs to follow travel protocols as outlined by the state of Vermont (find that information HERE) and has not quarantined for 14 days (or 7 days with a negative test) MUST NOT ENTER
- All customers and staff must wear facial coverings inside the shop
- Customers are asked to use the hand sanitizer available at the front of the shop upon entering
- The shop has been reconfigured to allow for greater social distancing; please maintain a respectful distance from others while browsing
- We ask that you not enter the shop in groups of more than 3
- No more than 10 people, including staff, will be allowed in at any one time
Please understand that because of the nature of our business arrangement with the Stone Mill, Vermont Book Shop gift cards are not redeemable there, nor will your purchases count toward our VBS Friends loyalty rewards program. If you wish to redeem a gift card, or feel very strongly about earning loyalty rewards, please contact us to make your purchase directly. Be warned, however, that not all inventory is available in both locations and we will not transfer merchandise simply to accommodate gift card transactions or use of the rewards program.
Shipping update, please read.
- Some online orders are experiencing shipping delays or getting damaged or lost in transit, and this is especially true with Media Mail at this time.
- We have to increase media mail shipping option fee from $1.99 per shipment, to $2.99 per book + .99 for additional books.
- We are still offering free in-store pickup and complimentary delivery in 05753.
- USPS Media Mail (2-10 days) — No tracking/uninsured, $2.99 for one book, $.99 for each additional book.
- USPS Priority Mail (1-3 days) — Tracking/insured, $9.95 for one book, $1.95 for each additional book.
December 2020 update: The surge in Covid-19 cases around the country has again ravaged our supply chains. Publishers and wholesalers are experiencing substantial processing delays in their warehouses, and UPS and FedEx are behind as many as 3 days in some locations. Add to that the reduction in printing capacity due to bindery closures, and the publishing industry is experiencing unprecedented challenges. We ask that you place your orders early and exercise patience. Though we are able to secure some special orders in just a couple of days, titles at secondary warehouses, those being shipped directly from publishers, and titles awaiting reprint can take anywhere from 10 days to several weeks to arrive. We will do our best to provide you with our best ETA for your order when you place it. But for reference, here are our rules of thumb:
- Wholesaler, primary: 2-5 days
- Wholesaler, secondary: 7-14 days
- Publishers: 3-14 days (Penguin Random House is pretty quick, Hachette is very slow; they're really all over the map)
- Reprinting: 10 days - 8 weeks
- The search bar is beneath the banner image at the top of the page. When you think you have found what you want, confirm that you have the right title and edition (i.e., not large print, not a totally different book by the same title...) and click the "ADD TO CART" button for a physical book. Beware the "GET THE DIGITAL AUDIOBOOK" and "GET THE EBOOK" buttons–unless, of course, that is what you want. We can sell you those, too!
- Note: a title's product page will indicate if it is "On Our Shelves Now." Good to know if you are in a hurry for something.
- Choose pickup location close to the top of your placing order page, either Vermont Book Shop on Main Street or the Stone Mill on Mill Street.
- To choose Complimentary Delivery in the 05753 zip code, enter your shipping address, then tick the "Complimentary delivery in 05753 area: $0.00" box in Shipping Options. Please add any pertinent info regarding pick-up or delivery to the Order Comments field at bottom of checkout page, such as, "Yellow house with the dogs," or, "Leave on side porch, please."
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to our limited staffing, it can take up to 48 hours to confirm your order. We WILL communicate with you via email upon processing. If you don't hear from us, please check your various inboxes (promotions, updates, spam) before calling to inquire.
- If you have difficulty placing your order, please do not hesitate to call us!
PICK-UP OPTIONS Book orders, whether ordered online or over the phone, can be picked up during our posted business hours at either Vermont Book Shop on Main Street or the Stone Mill Vermont Book Shop at 3 Mill Street (please select at the beginning of web order checkout!) Customers can also shop our satellite location inside the Stone Mill Public Market, around the corner on Mill Street, Wednesday - Sunday, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. If you have any special requirements or time constraints, please call us at 388-2061. While consistency is our goal, we respect our customers' busy lives and can be flexible! Complimentary delivery within the 05753 zip-code and USPS shipping are also available!
- We do our best to answer the phone between 9 am and 5 pm, Monday - Friday. If we don't pick up, leave a message and we'll return your call as soon as we can.
- We now take pre-payment for EVERY order. We accept Master Card, Visa, American Express, and Discover cards, as well as Vermont Book Shop gift cards. Please have your card handy.
- You are welcome to initiate your order via email, but again, be aware that we require pre-payment for EVERY order. As sending credit card details over email is not secure, you will need to call us also. If you are confident that we have or can get the book you are ordering, please feel free to leave your credit card details in our voicemail. We need the card number, expiration date, CVV or CID code, and your billing zip code.
Further COVID response information: Since the arrival of Covid-19 in the northeast in late February, we have acted with all due care to minimize threats to the health of our customers and staff, and to mitigate the economic harm to our employees and our business. We were closed to customer foot-traffic from mid-March to early October. Our intention in limiting our operations that way was to keep the Vermont Book Shop solvent, so that we could emerge, on the other side of the Covid-19 crisis and the Bridge & Rail Project, healthy and fit for another 70 years of community bookselling.
We have continued to work tirelessly to meet our customers' needs and wishes by filling online, telephone, and email orders, providing convenient pick-up and delivery services, added staff and refined our processes and procedures for taking and delivering online, telephone, and email orders. We completed improvements at the Main Street location and we continue to stock our stall at Stone Mill Public Market on a regular basis with a selection of new books and merchandise carefully curated for our community, and now we have finally reopened to the public.