The beloved author of Eat and Tender presents 150 satisfying and comforting recipes based on his favorite childhood food memories and culinary inspirations, accompanied by reflective personal essays.
A collection of more than 150 delicious, easy, and gratifying plant-based and meat recipes, A Cook’s Book
is the story of famed food writer Nigel Slater’s life in the kitchen. He charms readers with the tales behind the recipes, recalling the first time he ate a sublime baguette in Paris and the joy of his first slice of buttercream-topped chocolate cake.
From the first jam tart he made with his mum, standing on a chair trying to reach his family's classic Aga stove, through learning how to cook on his own and developing his most well-known and beloved recipes, readers will be delighted by the origin stories behind Slater's work. Slater writes eloquently about how his cooking has changed, from discovering the trick to the perfect whipped cream to the best way to roast a chicken.
These are Nigel Slater's go-to recipes, the heart and soul of his simple and flavorful cooking. Chapters include:
- A Bowl of Soup: Pumpkin Laksa, Spicy Red Lentil Soup, Pea and Parsley Soup
- Breaking Bread: Soft Rolls with Feta and Rosemary, Blackcurrant Focaccia, Large Sourdough Loaf
- Everyday Greens: Cheesy Greens and Potatoes, Spiced Zucchini with Spinach, Herb Pancakes with Mushroom
- Everyday Dinners: Beet and Lamb Patties, Pork and Lemon Meatballs, Mussels, Coconut, and Noodles
- A Slice of Tart: Mushroom and Dill Tart, A Tart of Leeks and Cheddar, Blackcurrant Macaroon Tart
This is by far Slater's most personal book yet, and with gorgeous photography featuring Slater in his London home and garden, readers get a peek at his inspirations, motivations, and thoughts on the food world today.